Antioxidants are tiny molecules that fight free radicals throughout your body. To explain why antioxidants are important to your health, we need to explain what free radicals are and why they can have a negative impact on our overall health.
What are free radicals?
Free radicals aren’t all bad; just like gut bacteria, we need a certain amount to help our immune cells fight off infections. Like most aspects of ageing, though, the problem with free radicals is they build up as we get older. Once the presence of free radicals is more significant than our level of antioxidants, our levels of oxidative stress begin to rise. Studies have shown that oxidative stress is the number one precursor to ageing, DNA damage, disease and even cell death.
Our modern lifestyle is a significant contributor to the buildup of free radicals. These include air pollution, alcohol intake, excessive toxins and elevated blood sugar levels. The good news is, a diet rich in antioxidants can help to offset this buildup of free radicals, which is why they are so important to your health.
Antioxidants are found in a broad spectrum of foods; notably, they are the most prominent in fruits and vegetables. The problem is the state of the soil our foods are grown in; the excessive use of pesticides and insecticides means that the antioxidant levels in fresh food are much lower than we typically need. Combine this with a modern diet consisting mainly of processed foods, and it’s no wonder people run into trouble. They just aren’t getting the right level of antioxidants that are so important to our health. Many people freak out with this realisation; the good news is though there are plenty of compounds you can supplement to help your body combat free radicals. These include adaptogenic herbs and most medicinal mushrooms.
Adaptogenic Herbs and Medicinal Mushrooms
We started Shroomunity as an Australian medicinal mushroom company. However, in our quest to make the most potent extracts on the planet. Considering the plethora of studies, plus our own biohacking experience with adaptogenic herbs, we didn’t want to box ourselves in by using purely medicinal mushroom extracts. There are many synergistic benefits from combing these shrooms with adaptogenic herbs, further boosting the antioxidant levels in each of our ‘Shroomstacks,’ ultimately bringing the best possible product to you.
So we use a bunch. Here’s just a few of them:
- Elderberry: High in antioxidants, including vitamin C, perfect for maintaining a healthy immune system.
- American Ginseng: One of the more common adaptogens on the market, and for a good reason. It has many anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Licorice Root: Full of antioxidants and great for boosting your T cells, helpful for a healthy immune system.
- Reishi Mushroom: One of the most researched mushrooms as it’s been used in eastern medicine for thousands of years. Reishi has been shown effective as a calming agent which extends as far as helping you sleep. It’s also known for its anti-cancer, immune-boosting qualities.
- Schizandra Berries: We use Schizandra berries as part of our proprietary month-long mushrooms extraction process. Packed full of antioxidants, Schizandra helps protect the liver against toxins, is helpful for respiratory issues and is also a nootropic- it’s been shown to help with memory,
- Pine Pollen: One of our favourite adaptogens and great for both men and women. Pine pollen has a range of benefits, including regulation of testosterone and oestrogen, immune-boosting and muscle-boosting benefits.
- Rhodiola: Another unique compound, one of our favourites. We love Rhodiola because it packs a massive antioxidant punch, plus having the added benefit of being a nootropic. We add Rhodiola to our stacks used before exercise or anything requiring above-average brainpower.
This medicinal mushroom superfood deserves its own sub-heading. According to studies, our Chaga mushroom extract is one of the most antioxidant-rich superfoods on the planet. Science has shown that the anti-inflammatory terpenes, antioxidants, and immune-boosting polysaccharides contained in our Chaga mushroom extract can be beneficial for health ailments like leaky gut, irritable bowel syndrome, and inflammation caused by autoimmune disorders. With such an array of medicinal properties, it’s no wonder Chaga is known as the ‘OG, King of mushrooms.’
All of our adaptogenic herbs are certified organic and free from any pesticides, insecticides and heavy metals. Our medicinal mushrooms are grown in the pristine hinterland of Byron Bay, Australia. We aim to make the highest quality, most potent bioavailable product on the planet, which is why all of our ‘stacks’ undergo a month-long dual extraction process before arriving to you in the little black bottle of tincture extract. Perfect for opposing under your tongue or adding to your favourite beverage.
The Shroomunity Team.